Written By: Michelle Orduna
When it comes to dating, today’s technology is both a blessing and a curse. Online dating sites allow you to connect with the one, or the next one at least. Although it allows you to meet people you might never come across otherwise, it does make it more difficult to stand out. Having hundreds of people to choose from might seem daunting to most, so having a memorable profile will help you connect with possible matches.
1. Answer as many questions as you can: The questionnaires might seem boring, but the more questions you answer, the better the quality of your matches. If you truly cannot stand the idea, do it while you watch TV. Call a friend over and make a game of it. Whatever motivates you to answer the most questions, do it.
2. Try to fill out as much of your profile as you can: Gone are the days of leaving things to the imagination. A profile with more information about yourself, including likes and dislikes, will garner more attention. Use a casual voice and inject as much of your persona into what you write as possible. It is important to advertise yourself, but be concise. Not everyone is ready to read essays about you.
3. Do use spell check: It is important that you come across clearly to others; simple mistakes will hinder this. Mistakes come across as careless and will make it seem like you are uninterested.
4. Be honest: There’s no such thing as being too honest. It is important that you answer all the questionnaires with honesty. This seems like a no-brainer, but not everyone is truthful when it comes to online dating. It is especially important to be honest when it comes to what you are looking for. No one wants their time wasted. If you are looking for a long-term relationship, say so; if something casual is more your speed, say so. With so many people joining dating sites every day, there is bound to be someone looking for the same thing you are.
5. Upload several pictures of yourself: It might make you feel narcissistic, but it is important for your matches to see what you look like. People are very visual and it’ll help round out your profile. Upload a good quality close-up of your face. It’s okay if it’s a selfie or cropped from a larger picture. Try to include pictures of you doing things you like. If you must upload a group photo, make sure you point out yourself, as it might not be clear to other people. A full-body picture is also encouraged, though not necessary.
Have fun creating your new dating profile. Don’t think of it as a means to an end, but more as part of the experience. Be open to anyone that piques your interest. Not everyone you talk to has to be your soulmate or produce a date; sometimes just interacting with someone new is entertaining. Who knows, you might end up making a friend or two. If anything, you’ll have an interesting story for the next person you talk to.